Thanks for taking the time to visit our JustGiving page.
In April 2017 Paul was diagnosed with a Grade 4 Glioblastoma which is an aggressive form of malignant brain tumour with an average survival of 14 months. Sadly Paul was lost after only 11 months. This, unlike some cancers, is not lifestyle related.
The diagnosis and progress of the disease had a massive effect on every aspect of Paul’s life as well as having a devestating effect on all those who loved and cared for him.
The diagnosis is particularly ironic as, throughout his life, Paul has been a staunch supporter of cancer charities through fundraising and in 2007 donated bone marrow to The Anthony Nolan Trust.
In his working life he has been instrumental is setting up Energise Bristol which is a programme designed to help people with the effects of cancer through exercise.
- Too many people are being faced with the devastating diagnosis – approx 50 people each day are diagnosed equating to 16000 every year
- Incidences of and deaths from brain tumours are increasing as treatments have not progressed much for the last 30 years.
- In 2015, £8,759 was spent on leukaemia research for each death, compared with only £1,858 for brain tumours. Brain tumour research represents just 1.37% of national spend on cancer.
- At the current rate of spend, it could take 100 years for brain cancer to catch up with developments in other diseases and find a cure.
- Research is campaigning to see the national spend on brain tumour research increased to £30 - £35 million a year, in line with breast cancer and leukaemia, in order to advance treatments and, ultimately, fund a cure for this devastating disease.
- Brain Tumour Research supports the 4 National Centres of Excellence for brain tumour research in the UK helping to fund their important work.
Please help us by donating whatever you can and also by supporting the various events which we plan to hold over the forthcoming months. We will regularly update this page telling you about these and how you can join in. This would mean a lot to me and was extremely important to Paul in his last few montbs
Many thanks, Julie Emsley
TXT LILJ77 then donation amount to 70070