I am planning to walk one million steps to raise money for the charity Alzheimer’s Research UK between 1st May and 5th December 2018, and with every step I hope to bring a cure for Alzheimer’s disease closer.
This is a cause close to my heart as I have first-hand experience of supporting a loved one suffering with Alzheimer’s Disease. We must fight and see that future generations do not suffer from this situation.
Alzheimer’s is a physical disease which attacks the brain. It's like parts of the brain close down one at a time. It may start with loss of short-term memory and forgetting where “things” are left. If the situation continues the person may not know where they are or recognise who are near and dear to them. They may have delusions and fears. At the moment there is no cure or significant way to delay the onset. An eminent medical expert said it affects both the person with dementia and carer. Ultimately the parts of the brain that keep our bodies alive and functioning close down.
Alzheimer’s Research UK funds research to prevent, diagnose, treat and find a cure for dementia. The organisation aims to raise awareness of dementia and the progress of research into the condition.
This is how your money can help Alzheimer’s Research UK:
- £10 could buy slides so scientists can study 100 samples
- £20 could fund one hour of ground-breaking research
- £250 could help pay for a genetic test to help identify dementia risk genes
- £500 could help pay for a brain scan to help scientists track dementia as it progresses
- £15,000 will support a PhD student for a year as they develop vital scientific skills and help answer important questions in research
- £20,000 will allow the organisation to send the latest dementia information leaflets to every GP practice and library in the UK
Please join me in the fight to conquer Alzheimer’s disease and find a cure once and for all. All sponsorship is very gratefully accepted.
Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving - they'll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they'll send your money directly to the charity. So it's the most efficient way to donate - saving time and cutting costs for the charity.