We’re Fundraising £20,000 for Mercy Ships
2 of every 3 people in the world don’t have access to safe surgery.
17 million people die every year because they can’t get the surgery they need.
The odds are staggering, but together we can and will change them.
A gift from you can directly change the odds.
Mercy Ships provide the world’s largest charitable floating hospital, bringing free medical care to some of the world’s poorest people, and almost entirely staffed by volunteers; the crew includes around 450 people from across the globe.
The Africa Mercy has 5 operating theatres and a ward housing 82 beds and focuses primarily on:
- General Surgery
- Women's Health
In 2017 Mercy Ships treated 2597 surgical patients, performed 19,309 dental procedures and provided training and mentoring to nearly 2000 participants.
Mercy Ships also works closely with host nations to
improve the way healthcare is delivered across the country, by training and mentoring local medical staff, and renovating hospitals and clinics.
Through this “medical capacity building” programme,
Mercy Ships is working to leave a legacy that lasts – providing essential
facilities and equipment, sharing expertise and teaching the teachers, and building healthcare strategies with governments.
Why does The London Independent Hospital care? And why should you care?
Such small sums can have a life-changing impact –
- £10 per month can support patients accessing our dental programme, helping them to smile again.
- £15 per month can give the gift of sight.
- £20 a month could help pay for cleft-lip
surgery that will transform a child’s life.
- £50 per month could help pay for the removal of a disfiguring tumour, freeing patients from a life of shame and isolation.
Who is The London Independent Hospital?
We are a private hospital based in the heart of East London, offering both NHS, Private and insured treatments. We believe everyone in the world should have access to world-class healthcare.
We’ve set an ambitious target that will assist Mercy Ships to treat even more patients who are in desperate need of life-saving and life-changing treatment, renovate and make safe local hospitals, and train staff to carry on treatment after they have left.
One of our own Maxillofacial Surgeons, Leo Cheng donates his
How are we going to hit this target:
We’re proud to announce we are already begun fundraising! Our first event, a mini-cruise raffle raised £410 – potentially helping 41 patients in need.
Other events planned are:
- May – 10k Vitality run
- July – London Colour Run
- October – Fancy Dress
- Bake sales
- Quiz Nights
How you can get involved
Mercy Ships need your support – and are
grateful for every single penny that is raised.
You can help support by:
- Donating via our Just Giving page
- Attend one of our events as a guest
- Visit https://www.mercyships.org.uk/serve-onboard/find-a-role/ and volunteer your time and expertise - Mercy Ships doesn’t just take doctors and nurses – the ship is a small city, with cooks, teachers, receptionists, mechanics, IT specialists, engineers and cleaners. You name it, we need it.