The Challenge: to run 135 miles straight through one of the hottest places on Earth at the height of summer (10 July)
Time allowed: 48 hours
Just to make it harder: I'm adding in a 145 mile race on 27 May. This is also straight through where stopping for 40 minutes or longer (for food, change of clothes etc) means you get disqualified.
Time allowed: 45 hours
Why: to hopefully inspire others that through dreaming, making the choice to challenge ourselves and by daring to step outside of our comfort zones, that one day we can achieve what we dream of. We only get one life, so shouldn't we be filling it with as much of the stuff that brings us joy, happiness, friendship and love? And because I love a challenge of course :)
The Charity: Havens Hospices
- they support all ages, all diseases
- they are run solely on voluntary donations
- they don't charge anything - their care is free
- they are based in the town where I live, Southend
- I know people who have had loved ones looked after here in their final days
- I know people who have worked for them
- they are involved with the running community and host local races in order to raise funds to provide that care
- they support not just those who are dying, but their loved ones too
- and they looked after one of my counselling friends from a local college course who had been ill for much of her life. She stayed with them for the last two weeks of her life. She was 32 years old when I watched her being buried. So this is also in Clare's memory.
More information on the races and the charity can be found over at www.dreamweaverconsulting.com/blog (when I get chance to write some posts up!). I will try to update on here too :)
Please note all monies raised go direct to Havens Hospices. I am funding all costs involved so every penny raised goes direct to the Charity.
I am also very humbled to say that in support of this challenge and the work that Havens does, my crew in America are funding their own flights costs, and crews for both races are giving up their holiday time, earnings and family commitments. To say I'm blown away is an understatement, and this is very much a team effort!
With many thanks and much appreciation
Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving - they'll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they'll send your money directly to the charity. So it's the most efficient way to donate - saving time and cutting costs for the charity.