I'll be travelling to Mongolia to attempt the feat of running 100 miles across an enormous frozen lake (as you do). I saw thus rare opportunity as an incredible way to raise funds and awareness for Anna's Hope and the amazing work they do to help children who have suffered from brain tumours.
I don't do too well in the cold, suffering with Raynaud's which means the blood-flow to my fingers cuts off easier than normal and they can get painfully cold even just in moderately low temperatures. So as temperatures on the lake can reach -50c, I'm a little anxious to say the least. These are extreme conditions I've never faced so I'm not sure how it's going to play out and hope my body doesn't freeze up and bits fall off.
Here's a few details to keep me on my toes:
- The lake is around 85 miles long, up to 22 miles wide and 262m deep!
- The Lake area is a National Park bigger than Yellowstone and is more than 2 million years old!
- The park is home to a variety of wildlife including wolves, wolverine, brown bear, lynx, elk and moose. I hope they don't like the ice!
- It is the second-most voluminous freshwater lake in Asia, and holds almost 70% of Mongolia's fresh water and 0.4% of all the fresh water in the world.
- It's really, really, really cold!
Anna's Hope is an amazing charity which I've been supporting for around three years now. They provide very real, life-changing facilities and services for children suffering or recovering from brain tumours.
The team at Anna's Hope all give their time voluntarily, no directors getting paid, no, commissions for marketers, just every penny being directed towards the services that help those children who need it most. (I've paid for the expense of this challenge myself so your money won't be going to that.)
Please help my challenge help Anna's Hope and the amazing work they do. Instead of an extra Christmas gift, round of drinks or January sales bargain that you don't really need, please donate and spread the word.
Many thanks in advance.
Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving - they'll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they'll send your money directly to the charity. So it's the most efficient way to donate - saving time and cutting costs for the charity.