Your friends are fundraising. Don't miss out, opt in.

£16,146
raised by 519 supporters
Donate
Solving Kids' Cancer avatar
Solving Kids' Cancer

Gabrielle Alderson's Journey

Fundraising for Solving Kids' Cancer

£16,146
raised by 519 supporters
Donate
  • Event: Gabrielle Alderson Campaign, 25 Dec 2015
  • Team: Team Gabrielle

Solving Kids' Cancer

We fund research and support families to access clinical trials for children.

Charity Registration No. 1135601

Story

Updated 31st January 2014:

Gabrielle was diagnosed with stage 4 high risk neuroblastoma in September 2013 at just 10 years old.

Her mother Vicki first noticed there was something wrong when Gaby’s energy levels seemed to dwindle during the summer holidays.

During a holiday with her father Gaby complained of slight back pain and concerned her mother took her to the local doctors.

On 2 September Gaby had blood tests and just two days later Vicki received a phone call asking her to take Gaby to hospital as her blood tests revealed something was amiss.

On the afternoon of 4 September Gabrielle’s parents were told that she had a mass in her abdomen which was likely to be neuroblastoma. Just one week later this was confirmed.

Neuroblastoma is an aggressive childhood cancer and the most common cancer diagnosed in children under 5 years old. In most cases it is only diagnosed when it has already progressed to a late ‘high risk’ stage. Even when children are tested clear of neuroblastoma after initial hospital treatment, a high proportion will relapse and in the case of relapse there is no standard treatment path to follow. When children cannot get onto a UK trial or are following foreign treatment paths, Solving Kids' Cancer supports them to access treatment abroad.

Gaby’s mother, Vicki explains: “It’s been a whirlwind of emotions since Gaby’s diagnosis. She’s been extremely courageous, taking everything in her stride. It’s really given us the strength to carry on and fight this disease.”

“Now Gaby is undergoing initial hospital treatment we need the public to help us raise funds for potentially lifesaving treatment should she need it. If Gaby were to relapse, which is common in children with high risk neuroblastoma, we want her to have access to  a wide range of clinical trials, including those not currently available in the UK.

I would therefore urge anyone reading this to donate to Gaby’s appeal and give my caring, funny, beautiful daughter the best chance of beating this disease.”

To read more about Gabrielle visit our website: http://www.SolvingKidsCancer.org.uk/journey/gabrielles-journey/

To follow Gabrielle's story visit her Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/GabrielleAldersonsAppeal 

Journey Terms and Conditions

All donations are paid into Solving Kids' Cancer's general funds to further its general charitable purposes. The funds raised by this Journey are not restricted for the child's use. However, the trustees of Solving Kids' Cancer have agreed to designate 93% of funds raised by this Journey to help the child and their family pay for potential future treatment costs and all other associated costs including travel and accommodation. We will use the remaining 7% to pay for some of Solving Kids' Cancer's administrative and fundraising costs. If the child no longer needs the funds, or if the trustees decide, at their absolute discretion, that the funds should be used for a different purpose, they may redesignate all or part of the 93% for Solving Kids' Cancer's general charitable purposes. We are very grateful for your charitable donation. 

For further information about Solving Kids' Cancer and how we spend donations, please see the FAQs on our website.  

Thanks for taking the time to visit my JustGiving page.

Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving – they’ll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they’ll send your money directly to the charity. So it’s the most efficient way to donate – saving time and cutting costs for the charity.

Photos

2

Supporters

519
Donate

Fundraising team