20/20 – A Vision of a Future for orangutans, forests and people
Great things can come from small beginnings, as the Foundation’s achievements show. Here are just some of them.
· The Lamandau River Wildlife Reserve in Indonesian Borneo. Securing this through a now-renowned conservation and community-development programme, in partnership with the Indonesian Ministry of Forestry and with EU support.
· A viable reintroduced orangutan population. Reintroducing and protecting orangutans in the Lamandau River Wildlife Reserve. So far, there have been 40 successful births.
· Safeguarding the largest wild population of orangutans outside a protected area. Working with our Indonesian partner Yayorin to ensure the long-term protection of the Belantikan forests, where this population lives.
· Involving and educating local people. The development and support of Yayorin’s Indonesian educational and sustainable livelihoods programme.
· Tanjung Puting National Park. Safeguarding the critical orangutan population there through habitat protection.
· Pondok Ambung Tropical Forest Research Station. Developing and maintaining this vital research centre in Tanjung Puting, used by international researchers, Indonesian students and university groups for wildlife and forest research.
Responsible tourism. Introducing more than a thousand people around the world to the wonders of the rainforest and orangutans. These people remain dedicated supporters of our work, and some have gone on to work in conservation.
Now we have a vision for the future – that by 2020, the decline of orangutans will be halted, and all remaining wild orangutan populations will be stable or expanding.
It is a realistic goal. And we intend to double our efforts to achieve our 20/20 Vision, to...
· Ensure protected areas stay protected.
· Create new conservation areas to protect all critical populations of wild orangutans.
· Secure long-term funding for valuable orangutan habitat.
· Help mitigate against climate change by preventing deforestation.
The 20/20 Vision Appeal
To set us on the path to achieve these goals, we need at least £200,000 – an appropriate target for our 20th anniversary.
If each person reading this donates at least £20 – £1 for each year of the Foundation – it’s achievable.
Thank you for playing your part in the future survival of orangutans and their globally important forest homes.
Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving – they’ll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they’ll send your money directly to the charity and make sure Gift Aid is reclaimed on every eligible donation by a UK taxpayer. So it’s the most efficient way to donate - I raise more, whilst saving time and cutting costs for the charity.