Thanks for taking the time to visit my JustGiving page.
On Christmas Day 2016 we welcomed our little boy into the world. We were over the moon and brought him home on Boxing Day feeling daunted, scared but so so proud!
We didn’t know that just two days later I would be readmitted to hospital with a condition none of us had ever heard of before, Postpartum Psychosis. You can read more about this condition that effects 1 in 1000 mothers on the APP website at www.app-network.org.
After a short stay in a mother and baby unit 50 miles from home I was discharged and have received support from a brilliant charity Action on Postpartum Psychosis.
I’m running the royal parks half marathon to raise much needed funds for APP so that no women or families have to face this misunderstood condition alone. The charity has supported my family and me hugely throughout my recovery. And quite honestly I wouldn’t be where I am without them.
Key facts about Postpartum Psychosis:
• PP is a severe and frightening postnatal mental illness
• Women develop hallucinations, delusions, mania, depression, odd and erratic behaviour within days of childbirth
• PP affects women from all backgrounds. Half of cases are ‘out of the blue’ – to women with no history of mental illness
• With the right treatment women can recover fully
• Suicide is a leading causes of maternal death: the greatest number occur to women with PP
• There are only half as many UK Mother & Baby Unit beds as needed. Half of women are separated from their baby for treatment with devastating impact
Please help in any way you can. Thanks for reading. x
Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving - they'll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they'll send your money directly to the charity. So it's the most efficient way to donate - saving time and cutting costs for the charity.