Text SAWW00 £10 to 70070 to donate £10 to the Friends to help St Andrew's Wood Walton!
Travelling on the East Coast Main Line in Cambridgeshire, we were intrigued to see this church in the middle of a field. We searched the OS map to try and locate it, and discovered that it was St. Andrews near Woodwalton. Why is it alone, why no village, and what was its history?
We discovered it is a Grade II* listed church with medieval origins, rebuilt in 1859. It was not always so isolated as it stands on the site of a medieval village. The church was declared redundant in 1967 when regular worship stopped. It was vested in the Friends of Friendless Churches in 1979 who stepped in to save it.
Since then, a lot has been spent on securing the exterior of the building, but the inside remains a huge challenge. We would like to see it open to visitors once more and want to help the Friends achieve this goal.
To learn more about the history of St Andrew's Wood Walton, click here: http://friendsoffriendlesschurches.org.uk/wood-walton/