For the past couple of years, my client and friend Adrian Harvie has
been raising money for Climb, to raise funds and awareness for his daughter, Emelia. You can read Adrian and Emelia's story here:
Whenever people raise money for a charity, they usually do something physical: Adrian and a group of cyclists rode around the country to raise money for Climb last year, and I know lots of other people who go running, do marathons, etc. Now I'm not a physical, active or sporty guy (I can't even ride a bike - it's a long story), so I've decided to raise money in my own way...
I'm going to raise money by doing a 'lightning talk' at an event. A lightning talk consists of 20 slides in just 5 minutes (therefore 15 seconds per slide), which automatically rotate - if you've ever been to Ignite Cardiff, you'll know the drill. However I'll be doing it with a slight twist: the more money raised, the more time I'll shave off the slides:
- If we hit £25, I'll shave 1 second off each slide (20 seconds off total - therefore the talk becomes 4:40 long)
- If we hit £50, I'll shave 2 seconds off (talk becomes 4:20)
- £75 = 3 seconds off each slide (4 minutes long - that's a whole minute off!)
- £100 = 4 seconds off each slide (3:40 long)
- £125 = 5 seconds off each slide (3:20 long)
- £150 = 6 seconds off each slide (3 minutes long)
- £200 = I'll wear a Christmas hat during the talk
- £250 = I'll include 5 phrases in the talk from this SEO bingo card: https://twitter.com/georgenunners/status/771409629108695040 (ignoring the Brighton/conference-related ones)*
- £300 = Instead of 5 phrases chosen by me (see above), 5 SEOs will choose the 5 phrases, and I'll have to say those instead
- £350 = I'll wear my Halloween costume (Peter Quill, a.k.a. Star Lord, from Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy) during the talk
- £400+ = ??? (let's worry about that if we hit it)**
* Not sure why the hyperlink isn't working here - sorry.
** If we hit £400 or more, I'll add additional challenges/aspects to the talk, making it harder/funnier/sillier.
In other words, the more money you donate, the more ridiculous it'll become and the more ridiculous I'll look. And who doesn't want that eh? Please donate generously! 😄
If you'd like to come to the event, to see me make a fool of myself (all for a good cause), then here's the link: www.meetup.com/Cardiff-SEO-Meet/events/234155013/ (don't worry if you can't make it - it'll be live streamed and then saved for future viewing).
If you'd like to learn more about Climb, please read this: www.childrenshospitalchallenge.co.uk/who-are-climb/
Thanks for taking the time to visit my JustGiving page.
Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving - they'll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they'll send your money directly to the charity. So it's the most efficient way to donate - saving time and cutting costs for the charity.