We are trying to raise £25k for a new parents eduction and training room at QMC in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
Super George’s Room
The purpose of the room is to make it a resource fit for the education and training of parents and staff for many years. The aim will be to provide a resource for all aspects of education and training with some examples including:
1. Environment suitable to teach parents/carers the important skills of resuscitation in the unfortunate event they need to use these skills at home.
2. Training parents and staff how to change tracheostomy equipment safely and what to do if things don’t go according to plan.
3. Pit-stop training for newborn resuscitation – training all the team to plan and undertake newborn resuscitation to improve the outcomes for babies.
4. Education and training resources around breast feeding, infection prevention, stoma care, naso-gastric tube feeding particularly for parents at home.
This multi-purpose room will make it easier to meet with other professionals and parents to plan safe discharge home. Also as a local space for parent groups to meet when needed.
Detailed below is a list of key equipment/ resources/ furniture we hope to include in the room. This is the ‘wish’ list and we hope to fund it all.
1. Newborn resuscitation platform and equipment for training £9,000
2. Breathing equipment for training using the above £3,500
3. Training manikins – term, preterm and specialist (e.g. tracheostomy, stoma) £3,000
4. Flip top table allowing room to double as meeting resource (2 tables and chairs) £1,400
5. Laptop for training/education – videos/presentations/resuscitation training etc £1,300
7. Webcam to record training sessions for playback and learning £100
8. Privacy blinds for room £350
9. Whiteboard for teaching/education £200
10. Storage area/boxes/cupboard £400
11. Installation/commissioning costs £2,400 inc. plaque/room branding as ‘Super George’s Room.