I have known Super George’s family for many years, and want to help them raise £25,000 for QMC's Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. George Arthur Parkins was born 2017 with many things wrong with him. His mummy calls them his “wonky bits”. In September 2018 he will celebrate his 1st birthday, and also undergo his 16th and 17th operations.
I am running a half marathon on 14th October and plan to skydive at Langar in Nottinghamshire in October as well. Please dig deep and help me raise lots of money for this special appeal.
The funds raised by Super George’s Army are for ‘SUPER GEORGE’S ROOM’ - a brand new special training and education room within QMC’s Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
The purpose of the room is to make it a resource fit for the education and training of parents and staff for many years. The aim will be to provide a resource for all aspects of education and training with some examples including:
1.Environment suitable to teach parents/carers the important skills of resuscitation in the unfortunate event they need to use these skills at home.
2.Training parents and staff how to change tracheostomy equipment safely and what to do if things don’t go according to plan.
3.Pit-stop training for newborn resuscitation – training all the team to plan and undertake newborn resuscitation to improve the outcomes for babies.
4.Education and training resources around breast feeding, infection prevention, stoma care, naso-gastric tube feeding particularly for parents at home.
This multi-purpose room will make it easier to meet with other professionals and parents to plan safe discharge home. Also as a local space for parent groups to meet when needed.
Detailed below is a list of key equipment, resources and furniture needed for the room.
- Newborn resuscitation platform and equipment for training £9,000
- Breathing equipment for training using the above £3,500
- Training manikins – term, preterm and specialist (e.g. tracheostomy, stoma) £3,000
- Flip top table (x2) and chairs allowing room to double as meeting resource £1,400
- Laptop for training/education – videos/presentations/resuscitation training etc £1,300
- Webcam to record training sessions for playback and learning £100
- Privacy blinds for room £350
- Whiteboard for teaching/education £200
- Storage area/boxes/cupboard £400
- Installation/commissioning costs around £2,400 inc. plaque for ‘Super George’s Room’.
For more information about Super George and his journey to date, visit www.justgiving.com/teams/SuperGeorgeArmy. You can also visit Facebook.com/SuperGeorgeArmy or Twitter.com/SuperGeorgeArmy.