(If you don't read the following please don't forget to give us your World War One veterans name in the message that accompanies your donation. Thanks!)
We are Peak Military Fitness and we are yomping to the Somme. In Remembrance of the centenary opening day of the Battle of The Somme, 1st July 1916 and to honour all those who fought and died during World War One.
From each person we simply ask for a donation and a WW1 veterans name!
We want you to support us, join us and be part of this unique journey of remembrance...
...THE SOMME YOMP CHALLENGE:
• Two teams of ex Royal Marines starting in Grimsby, 9th June 2016 and Liverpool 11th June2016, plan to embark on a unique and extreme physical challenge across the UK and France.
• 650 mile endurance march over 23 days
• 30 miles per day average.
• 30lb packs carried by each team member, this was the average weight carried by a Somme combatant.
• Passing through many “Pal” battalion towns, which lost a significant number of lives on the opening day of the Somme.
• Finish the challenge at 07.30 on 1st July 2016 at the Somme, marking the moment the battle started 100 years earlier.
• It is our aspiration before and during the event to collect 19,240 Remeberance crosses, one for each man killed on 1st July 1916.
• We want you to sponsor a cross with a donation and give a WW1 veterans name. All donations will be given by us to the Royal British legion that helps our countries veterans today.
• These crosses will be laid at the Somme and form a poignant visual display of remembrance.
To this day, The Somme, 1st July 1916 remains the darkest day in the British Army’s illustrious history.
By the end of that first day the British had suffered 57,470 casualties of which 19,240 were dead. An entire generation fell on a single morning. Despite the heavy casualties the battle continued until November 18th and claimed over 1,000,000 casualties on each side.
The Battle of the Somme was one of the bloodiest battles in human history
The Somme Yomp Challenge is a Rembrance event that gives everyone the opportunity to be involved in the Somme centenary year, and deliberately sets out to encourage people to Suport us, join us and remember the sacrifices of WW1 in a very simple and respectful manner. suppor, join and remember by:
• Make a donation: www.justgiving.com/thesommeyomp
• With a donation give us a WW1 veterans name in the messages, this will be recorded on a remembrance cross that will be laid at the Somme.
Where do I get a WW1 name? Simple:
1. Investigate family members who were WW1 veterans
2. Visit local war memorial and choose a WW1 name to give.
3. Search for famous and well known people who fought in WW1.
• Come and support the yompers on the route, give them a shout or if your feeling strong join the yomp!
• Share our event and encourage others to join and get involved
schools, businesses and groups have an excellent opportunity to join and support our event in a simple and effective way:
• As a business you can give a donation on behalf of the company
• encourage your employees to donate and give a WW1 name.
• Circulate our event on your newsletter and date bases.
To discuss the challenge and how you can help please check out or contact us:
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Facebook/twitter: The Somme Yomp Challenge
All of us at The Somme Yomp Team ream really appreciate your support!
Thanks for taking the time to visit my JustGiving page.
Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving – they’ll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they’ll send your money directly to the charity. So it’s the most efficient way to donate – saving time and cutting costs for the charity.