At the University of York, we wish to fund a new toilet in the communities which do not have access to a safe, clean loo for every toilet there is on campus.
Visit our website to see how your donations are helping build toilets around the world. [click]
And why are we doing this?
- 2.4 billion people - 1 in 3 - lack access to a toilet
- Globally, 1/3 of all schools lack access to safe water and adequate sanitation
- In low and middle-income countries, 1/3 all all healthcare facilities lack a safe water source
- Globally, at least 1.8 billion people use a drinking-water source contaminated with faeces
- 160 million children suffer from stunting and chronic malnutrition linked to water and sanitation
- Contaminated water can transmit diseases such diarrhoea, cholera, dysentery, typhoid and polio, with an estimated 700,000 diarrhoeal deaths each year
Contact with human feces kills about 1.4 million children each year
(more than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined) - so 1 child in the time you have read this section.