DMWS 80th Anniversary Challenge
Fundraising for THE ST JOHN AND RED CROSS DEFENCE MEDICAL WELFARE SERVICE
Verified by JustGiving
I work for this fantastic charity, Defence Medical Welfare Service and to celebrate what we do I am running/walking an Epic 80km Ultra to celebrate DMWS 80th Anniversary of providing welfare support to Front line services.
It would be amazing if you can make a donation.
I will be running/walking on the revised date of 16th September 2023 around the Vale of Belvoir, Nottinghamshire visiting some of the Commonwealth War Grave sites and Military memorials.
All Funds raised will be used to support DMWS, a fantastic charity who provide welfare support to those who have committed their lives to serve their community and country, including Armed Forces personnel, reservists, veterans and their families, police officers, and other frontline services.
“I can’t express how wonderful it was to have a friendly face come and visit me whilst I was laid up in the hospital bed. They gave me confidence that should I be required to have an extended stay in hospital that my family could be supported and cared for.” - DMWS Service User
This compassionate, professional service will tackle non-clinical issues that cause poor physical and mental wellbeing, delay discharge from hospital and can cause unnecessary readmission to hospital.
This includes stress and anxiety, social isolation and loneliness, housing issues or homelessness, financial issues, substance abuse, and mental health issues including depression, PTSD, and dementia.
We enable patients to have access to:
• Bedside visits and telephone support
• A confidential and impartial listening ear service
• Help with resolving any medical care issues and to understand their treatment
• Practical help such as providing toiletries and clothing
• Providing their families with emotional and practical support when they visit them, and at their home
• Supporting them and their families when talking with their medical teams
• Help to make sure they have support and services in place when they leave hospital – we help to find solutions and provide onward supported referrals
• Accompanying and supporting them at outpatient appointments and in the community or for home-based treatment
• Supporting them and their families to access services that can help you at home
“Thank you, I think you’ve just saved my life.” - Veteran, Royal Marines