Empower Sudanese Youth: Your Support Is Critical in this Time of Need!
Fundraising for The United World Colleges (International) Ltd
Verified by JustGiving
In 2023, 12 Sudanese students have been admitted to attend nine of the 18 UWCs around the world, as part of the class of 2025. These students will join 6 current Sudanese students at UWC, who are part of the UWC class of 2024. These remarkable individuals hail from seven different states in Sudan and have been granted partially/fully-funded tuition scholarships. However, their aspiration to seize this life-changing opportunity and to continue their education is at risk without your generous financial support.
The UWC National Committee of Sudan is launching this JustGiving campaign to assist the incoming students in getting to UWC and the current students to finish their final year at UWC.
The ongoing war in Sudan has put the education of all young individuals in jeopardy, making this an opportunity that will change the course of their lives and that of their families.
Given the current circumstances, it is impossible for the students and their families to raise the necessary funds to cover these expenses.
What the news is not telling you about the War in Sudan*:
- Severe shortages of food, water, medicines, and fuel, with prices of essential items and transport sharply increasing.
- Approximately 7 million children who are currently out of school need education support.
- Limited or no access to healthcare services.
- By early June, the conflict had displaced over 3 million people, including over 500,000 who have fled to other countries, including Chad, Central African Republic, Egypt, Ethiopia, Libya, and South Sudan.
- Sexual and gender-based violence. Females of all ages are being trafficked and sold in markets.
- Fear and insecurity. Armed combatants have been occupying homes and reportedly some hospitals and schools, attacking critical water and electrical infrastructure.
* If you are interested in delving deeper into these points, they have been extracted from the World Vision USA website.
Your generous contribution will enable these students to gain access to a world-class education, empowering them to reach their full potential and emerge as future leaders and changemakers of Sudan. By investing in their education, you are not only transforming their lives but also investing in the progress and prosperity of their families and contributing to the rebuilding of the Sudanese nation.
Let us stand united in empowering our 18 students to pursue their education in a safe, healthy, and supportive environment.
Current status of funding:
- UWC colleges have generously offered Sudanese students an unprecedented four full all-inclusive scholarships, six fully-funded scholarships (excluding either flight tickets or pocket money), and two partially funded scholarships.
- Two students from the class of 2025 need funding for flight tickets.
- One student from the class of 2025 needs funding for pocket money.
- Two students from the class of 2024 need funding for flight tickets and pocket money.
- Two students, one from each class (2024 & 2025), need top-up funding for their tuition.
- Funds raised through this campaign will be received through UWC Sudan’s sub-account that is administered by the UWC International Office in London.
- 100% of your donation will directly benefit the UWC Sudan 2024 & 2025 Cohort, to cover the aforementioned financial needs.
For other donations means to support our students (including donating through the UWC International Office, tax-deductible donations through UWC-USA for U.S. Residents, PayPal), kindly visit this link. ($1 a month makes a difference).
Details of Needed Support:
First Target: $4,000
Second Target: $8,000
Third Target: $12,000
What is UWC?
UWC is a group of eighteen international boarding schools around the world that teach the rigorous International Baccalaureate (IB). UWC’s mission is to make education a force to unite people, nations, and cultures, for peace and a sustainable future. At each UWC, around 200 students (16-19 years old) from all around the world live and study together in a residential campus. UWC students have meaningful conversations about changing our world; they learn about each other’s cultures, discover new hobbies and interests, and serve their local communities. Following UWC, students attend the world’s leading universities, many on full scholarships.
UWC has recently been nominated for the 2022 Nobel Peace Prize for its efforts in making the world a more just and peaceful place.
UWC Sudan is the volunteer-run entity that selects exceptional students from Sudan through rigorous selection and admissions activities and interviews. Since 2012, we have nominated over 30 Sudanese students, including refugees, to the different UWC schools and awarded them with full and partial scholarships.