About RC Diocese of Lancaster
The RC Diocese of Lancaster seeks to be the evangelizing presence of the Catholic Church in Lancashire, north the River Ribble, and all of Cumbria.
The Charity is governed by a Trust Deed dated 31 July 1934 (as subsequently amended by schemes of the Charity Commission) and is registered by the Charity Commission of England and Wales as charity number 234331.
The Diocese of Lancaster was created by the Holy See in 1924; the northern area formerly having been within the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle and the southern area having been within the Archdiocese of Liverpool.
The Diocese has 87 parishes with regular services are available in 108 churches and chapels and 82 schools throughout the whole of the county of Cumbria and those parts of Lancashire, north of the River Ribble and the west of the Pennines. These communities served by the charity are quite diverse, and include towns/cities in Cumbria such as Barrow, Workington, Carlisle and Whitehaven, the whole of the Lake District. In urban areas, parishes might be just a few square miles in size, whereas in the more rural parts of Cumbria parishes can be 200+ square miles. In Lancashire the coastal resorts of Blackpool and Morecambe fall within our boundaries, as does the city of Preston.
RC Diocese of Lancaster Registered charity number 0234331