Bryan Hill, Jon Last, Darren Ryden, Phill Went and Dave Brown's LEJOG!
Last year, a new event was announced - the Deloittle Ride Across Britain. This is a bicycle ride from John O'Groats to Lands End, taking 9 days. We decided that this was a great idea, so with our usual high-quality organisation we were too late entering and the thing had sold out. So... with a little help from our friends we decided to do it anyway, backwards, in a day less.
This means that between the 6th and 14th May we will be riding from Lands End to John O'Groats over 8 days. 960ish miles, 120ish miles a day. Let me repeat that:
· 120 miles a day
· 8 days
· 960ish miles total
· On bicycles
We'll have with us our specialist support crew consisting of
· Tim & Lynne, lead planners, drivers, cooks, mechanics, shoppers, camp site builders
· Becky, cook, shopper, camp site builder
· Liz, osteopath, massage, general medical repairs
· Dave, photographer and golf (not sure how this will help...)
It would be lovely if you could support us on our way by contributing to our chosen charity - Thames Valley and Chilterns Air Ambulance.
· If you ever travel in the south of England, be it by bike, car, horse or foot, you may need their help at some point
· Air ambulance charities collectively undertake 19,000 missions annually, and serve 177 accident and emergency departments
· Collectively, the air ambulances are the busiest voluntary emergency services in the country
· Air ambulances work with: 35 pilots, medical teams made up of consultants, specialist registrars, GPs, emergency care practitioners, paramedics, technicians and nurses
· On average, each mission costs £1,229, and the average spend per helicopter is £843,000pa
The Thames Valley and Chilterns Air Ambulance
· Is on call seven days a week, 365 days a year
· Operational across the three counties every day
· Can be airborne within 3 minutes
· Up to 50% of our missions are road traffic accidents
· Costs are on average £165,000 a month
· £2 million a year to operate our seven day service
· Receives NO funding from Central Government or the National Lottery
So, please give what you can and we’ll think of your generosity to keep us going on the last few miles each day!