Weʼve raised $435 to keep me stable and move me forward
- Chicago, IL, United States
- Time left
- Funded on Sunday, 5th November 2017
Crowdfunding is a new type of fundraising where you can raise funds for your own personal cause, even if you're not a registered charity.
The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.
It turns out financial issues suck. They're preventing me from living my life the way I want to, preventing me from taking care of myself and keeping me mentally and emotionally healthy, preventing me from having fun and enjoying the world. I need to get out of the rut I am in badly, and I am turning to you. Your help will give me a push that can help me climb out of this hole and start finding a space where I can feel more self-sufficient, more confident, and more connected to the world around me.
What am I seeking money for? From most relevant to least relevant:
1) Medical support. I am a nonbinary, genderqueer trans woman (yes all three at once!) suffering from severe depression and social anxiety. I am currently seeing a therapist and taking medications, but I am not in a place where I can consistently afford them. Right now I have not been able to purchase new prescriptions and trust me it is not fun. Being able to afford appointments with a physician and a dentist would also be nice, but right now meds and therapy are the most important thing to me since they keep me sane enough to function.
2) Funds to go to GaymerX East this year. This isn't just a fun thing (even though it is fun!) but as a queer game developer this is important to my professional development. I have submitted a talk about dealing with emotions and stress, and I plan to submit another about bridging the gap between visibility and invisibilty. If one or both are accepted, they will be my first convention talks, and that will be huge for me! I can't guarantee that they will though as that is up to the people in charge of the schedule. Even if they are rejected, I still would benefit greatly from simply attending. (Anyone at the San Francisco convention last year remember the awkward trans girl clutching a sun hat, always with at least one question for the panelists? That was me.)
3) Self care and fun and enjoying life. The other two entries are most important to me right now. But additional funds will go to things such as eating good food at nice restaurants, buying cute underwear, sending financial support to other queer people, grabbing that fancy new zelda machine, voice and singing lessons, and small, sweet, affirming things like that.
My ultimate goal is for me to be able to use these funds to secure stability for myself, both financially and emotionally. That does mean I have to point you to places outside this JustGiving page that will be more important for long-term stability.
1) My Patreon page. Starting in August I will do my best to update the Patreon twice a week, with stories, game ideas, and works in progress. Remember, one dollar a month helps me more than you might think!
2) The Lupiesoft Patreon page. This one funds me, and all the wonderful people I work with, and support for Lupiesoft means I continue to have a job writing about queer monster girls. The Lupiesoft page gets tons of art and soon a few stories, some of which will be written by me!
3) Play my games. I have a collection of short, weird, important little games on my itch.io page, all of them free! Some of them have donation links if you appreciate what I've made. (The ones that don't are ones I worked on with other people and did not get explicit permission to monetize.) If you're not sure where to start, play Lily Seed first. There are also the four games I've made with Lupiesoft: The Reject Demon Toko Chapter 0 (technically SFW); The Menagerie (NSFW); The Stargazers (SFW link) (NSFW link); and Mutiny!! (NSFW), all available at good prices.
4) Demand universal health care and universal basic income in your country if you don't have them (even if that country is not America), because no one should have to go through this.
And if you can't afford to support me financially, there are still a lot of things you can do to help me out emotionally! Spread this page around. Follow me on Twitter. Ask me how my day is going. Send me makeup tips and self-confidence advice. Tell me that I matter as a human being regardless of my financial situation and it is okay to ask for money when I need it to survive. Send my little brother birthday messages (I'll pass them on). Tell me about your cute gay girlfriends. Have a long chat with me about something you are interested in. Do all these things for other trans people worse off than me.
Thank you so much.
- 7 months ago
Colleen Potvin7 months ago
Hi! It's been a few days now and I am amazed at how supportive everyone has been! Thank you! I will likely have some larger announcements in the upcoming days, but right now I wanted to alert you to a Patreon post available to anyone pledging 1 dollar or more. Read it here if you haven't seen it yet, and consider pledging even just $1 to the Patreon! https://www.patreon.com/posts/rough-draft-do-13786033
Share this update to help us raise more
Colleen Potvin started crowdfunding
Leave a message of support
Sep 28, 2017
Aug 24, 2017
Take care of yourself!
Aug 24, 2017
Keep on kicking arse!
Kimberley Anne Campbell
Aug 9, 2017
Aug 8, 2017
Aug 8, 2017
Hoping this helps! :)
Aug 8, 2017
You can use this more than I can. So don't worry about it.
Crowdfunding stories like this
Great people make things happen
Do you know anyone in need or maybe want to help a local community cause?
Create you own page and donʼt let that cause go unfunded!About Crowdfunding
About the fundraiser
Chicago, IL, United States
I'm a 28 year old enby trans woman living in Chicagoland. My primary job is writing for story-based games, and am employed at Studio Lupiesoft! Games I have worked on include The Reject Demon Toko and Lily Seed, both wonderful and cute and queer.
* JustGiving crowdfunders pay a small fee for our service. Find out how much it is and what we do for it.